OK, I really don't like to air personal gross stories about potty training but this I just have to share. So potty training has been just about as horrible as I imagined it would be. We started training Ridley in June and we are still not 100% there. Seriously? I know this child is so bright, why in the world can she not figure out how to use the potty? I know it's not an intelligence thing, it's more of a control issue but it is SO FRUSTRATING!!! This has by far been my hardest parenting task and I'm already dreading training Walker! So anyway, she's had the pee thing down pretty good since July, only a few accidents here and there and even wakes up dry most mornings. However, doing the #2 has been a complete battle. I've heard this is common, but come on, it's been 5 months! We've promised the moon and more if she does it. We've threatened to take away every toy and privilege if she doesn't do it. We've enthusiastically praised her small efforts and semi-victories. But, alas, she still saves the #2 for the pull-up or if I'm really lucky right in her underpants, yay! Ever had a day where you felt like poop was all you dealt with all day? You haven't lived until you've cleaned your infant's poop, your 3 yr old's poop and the dog's poop all in one morning.
So finally about 2 weeks ago we made some progress! Bill has promised Ridley we can go for ice cream if she does her doody, pun intended, in the potty. Well, it was 8:45pm, she's been in and out of bed 3 times and finally we have a victory! I was so excited and proud. Bill insisted that we had to give her immediate gratification by taking her right then to get the ice cream even though it was nearly 9pm! So, we all piled in the van and headed up to our favorite fro yo joint. We've been frequenting this place more and more over the past two weeks, I think the kids that work in there think we're addicts to fro yo! Anyway, here are some pictures I took of the joyous event! Oh the things you get excited about once you become parents!
Yummy ice cream!



What a cute story! I'm dreading the potty training, too. At least I know I'll have lots of friends to commiserate with. :) Glad to hear she got her fro yo and had time to properly accessorize her pjs with a bow!
ReplyDeleteKerry, Totally understand!! miss you all. give Ridley a kiss from us and tell her good job!!!
ReplyDeletewoo hoo ridley! that's some good and brave parenting there kerry - sugar reward before bed. hmmm.... i'll bet she doesn't forget though.
ReplyDelete